Subject: Re: First Experience with Xen3 on amd64 (Thanks, Bouyer!)
To: Marco Poli <poli-bsd@latenter.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/20/2007 19:40:31
On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 09:18:55PM -0200, Marco Poli wrote:
> Hello world,
>

> I must confess I have been waiting for the release of the amd64 port for
> asome months now... to be precise since I bought this Xeon 5120 in this
> PowerEdge 1900 server, around june I guess.
>
> Since the release I have built up a testing environment using -daily
> from 20071215 (kernel 4.99.42). And the latest  xenkernel3 and xentools3
> packages. I did make my own kernel with VT100, Veriexec and CGD support,
> based on the config of the XEN3_DOM0 kernel.
>
> For this test I have:
>
> kern.securelevel=-1
> kern.veriexec.setric=0
>

> So far so good. The problem appears when trying to bring the first DomU
> up, with the following config file:
>
> kernel = "/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU.gz"
> memory = 128
> name = "machine"
> vif = [ '' ]
> disk = [ 'file:/mnt/virtual/netbsd-common.img,hda1,w' ]
>

> When bringing up xend, in the logs I have:
>
> [...]
>
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

If you don't want network interface, I think you just have to delete the
vif = ['']
line. Otherwise it create a vif with some defaut values that are not
right for NetBSD.
If you want a vif, you need to add a bridge= parameter pointing to an
existing bridge interface.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>