Subject: Re: xentools3-hvm and qemu-dm
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/09/2007 18:25:20
On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 05:49:40PM +0100, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused about xentools3-hvm: Do I really need the whole
> package to make use of IVT resp. AMD-V?

Yes.

> The main problem for me is
> qemu-dm which (I think) I'm never going to use since our server won't
> run X at all:

qemu-dm is de device emulator. If you're going to use HVM guests you need it
(what would you do with a guest without any device ?). It needs X to
display the emulated VGA console (it can be display as a X windows, or via
a VNC client).
You don't need to run a X server on your dom0, you can forward the X connection
somewhere else via e.g. ssh