Re: Xen2 bailout: "Aieee! CPU0 is toast..."

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:15:02PM +0200, Johan Ihren wrote:

> Ok, so I have this new shiny Intel server with a Core 2 Duo Quad
> 2.40GHz (or whatever they're called). When I try booting one of my
> XEN2_DOM0 disks (running a 4.0_BETA2 cut in January) on this box I
> get the following:
>
> - -------
> **********
> We don't support more than two logical CPUs per package!Aieee! CPU0
> is toast...
> **********
>
> Reboot in five seconds...
> (XEN) Unknown interrupt
> - -------
>
> After that there's silence and a hard power cycle is required. Is
> this a known problem?
>
> Also, disabling multi-core in the BIOS (i.e. disabling 3 of the four
> cores) does not help at all. Xen plunges headlong into the wall with
> just as much enthusiasm.
>
> The question is how to get this thing booting with the least amount
> of pain. If the 2 core limitation is a hard limit for XEN2 (i.e.
> "game over") then I won't spend time on that, but if that's something
> that may have improved since January it would be good to know.

Xen2 isn't supported any more by xensource; so there's no hope for a fix
here.

> Likewise, if this box would run under XEN3 (which I've never tried)
> then that would be interesting too, and a strong reason to try XEN3.

You'll probably better luck with Xen3, preferably xen-3.1.0.
I would be surprised if it didn't support quad-core CPUs.

> However, in that case, as I have lot's of stuff that's autogenerated
> for my XEN2 domUs, do I need to make any changes to my domUs other
> than add a XEN3 kernel?

Maybe a few adjustements to the domain config file, but the filesystem
of the domU itself shouldn't need any changes.