Re: ypbind hangs as of current from midday yesterday (kern+user)

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:33:51AM +1000, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:08:06 pm Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > As soon as I ^C the ssh
> > > client in the other console logs in.
> >
> > It's probably because it's waiting on ypbind. Once ypbind is killed
> > nsswitch only uses local files again.
>
> Does the ordering matter? I have files first then nis. I found this behaviour
> strange as it _is_ the server and the auth files reside there.

When login, the sytems needs to look at all the groups to know in which groups
the user is. As long as NIS is enabled for groups the system will look at
it at login time, whichever order is specified in nsswitch.conf for group

> Is ypbind suppose to hang indefinitely?

I believe it'll wait for a server to reply, yes

> Does anyone actually have a current
> system running nis?

I just set up a test nis domain on a domU. With default files in /etc it
came up without troubles.

Do you have NIS or DNS enabled for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? It could
be the cause of the hang. Especially if NIS is enabled and the hosts
involved in NIS startup aren't listed in /etc/hosts (with the proper names),
there will be a deadlock.
Are the hosts in the ypservers map and /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers
properly recorded in /etc/hosts ?