Re: end_request: I/O error, dev sda1, sector 1236704

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:35:33AM +0200, pierre-philipp braun wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >>This one came from jailtime.org, but I did some SLES9sp3 on my own and
> >>had the same problem (also in a fixed size ext3 file, using
> >>e2fsprogs/mkfs.ext3 -F).
> >
> >And what does du -h report on these files ?
> >ls -l won't tell if a file is sparce or not.
>
> ok the jailtime.org image is sparse.  for my information, how to create
> sparse images anyway (possibly without xen-create-image) ?

dd if=/dev/zero of=bigsparse bs=1m count=1 seek=1048576

will give you a sparse file of 1Tb with only 1Mb on disk.

> I just did a fresh gentoo and the filesystem behaves nicely (simple dd
> if=/dev/zero of=gentoo.ext3 bs=1024k count=2000).  So I'll recheck the
> SLES9sp3 issue at work.
>
> Many thanks
>
> something else, when I used to reboot a linux domU, the guest was kept
> alive, rebooting itself.  Now (since 3.1?) I need to xm create it again.
>  any hint/idea ?

How much free ram do you have in xen (xm info will tell) ?
I suspect xend doens't wait for the ram of the previous domain to be completely
freed before trying to start the new one.