Re: boot hangs at uhci1

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:54:16AM -0500, david l goodrich wrote:
>> Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>>> If you add -c to the kernel's boot command line, and enter
>>> disable uhci
>>> quit
>>>
>>> does it boot ?
>> for those reading this later on that are confused like i was, this is
>> just to say add "-c" to the end of the "module" line in the appropriate
>> /grub/menu.lst entry.
>>
>> unfortunately, all disabling uhci did was push the freeze back:
>>
>> piixide1 at pci0 dev 31 function 2
>> piixide1: Intel 82801G/GR Serial ATA/Raid Controller (ICH7) (rev. 0x01)
>> piixide1: bus-master DMA support present
>> piixide1: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
>> [hang]
>>
>> i should note that the way I have determined it is hung is that 1) it
>> obviously doesn't progress any further in the boot process and 2) the
>> keyboard interrupts are no longer detected - capslock and numlock no
>> longer cause the keyboard lights to change.
>
> it's normal at this point of the boot, interrupts are not yet enbaled to
> the keyboard won't react anyway
>
>>> Maybe you have updated this kernel recently, without
>>> rebooting ?
>>>
>> no, this is not something I would do.  well, i hope not.
>> Besides, I have also tried booting with a new XEN3_DOM0 kernel from
>> ftp.netbsd.org's most recent daily build, and had the same problem.  In
>> fact, this most recent hang at piixide1 is using
>> <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200703280002Z/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz>,
>> gunzipped, of course.
>
> It seems to have troubles with establishing interrupts. Can you try disabling
> ACPI ?
> disable acpi
> in userconf.

and now, hung at

Starting xen domains.
Using config file "/usr/pkg/etc/xen/router-meus".
xvif1.0: Ethernet address 00:16:3e:6d:73:75
xvif1.1: Ethernet address 00:16:3e:4c:db:4c
xbd backend: attach device vnd0d (size 10485760) for domain 1
Started domain router-meus
Creating a.out runtime link editor directory cache.
xbd backend 0x1 for domain 1 using event channel 14

the lines matching /^x/ are green, the others are white.

just now it added the line "Checking quotas: done." There was a 5-10 minute gap between the "xbd" line and the "Checking" line.

i've seen slow boots, but this is just about the slowest I've seen. Not something i'd expect from a 3ghz computer.
  --david