Re: domU image for x86_64 machines?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

Is there any NetBSD domU image for x86_64 machines?

I found the answer at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2007/01/02/0000.html
(I didn't see that before because I search for wrong thing.)

I still have this question though:

If not, can i386 domU image work on x86_64 system? (Sorry if this is a
FAQ.)

The search terms you want are  "32-on-64"  - I've not used it (I don't
have 64-bit hardware at prgmr.com, and it's kinda beta so my consulting clients aren't interested in it.) From what I understand, it mostly works on xen 3.0.4 and it is broken in -unstable (it may have been fixed since...)

From what I read, it is 32-bit PAE guest on 64 dom0; as NetBSD doesn't
have PAE DomUs running, I doubt it will work for us.

Of course, this is all what I have casually observed from watching xen-devel. I haven't tried it myself yet. It is possible I will be playing with it shortly (I'm toying with the idea of using some SATA/amd64 X2 equipment. it seems that I can get the same cpu power w/ 1/4th the power cost of my current 2.0Ghz xeon/fibre channel setup. My real concern is how the SATA disks will hold up under the concurrent access... but the hardware is cheap enough for me to "just try it" and see what happens.)