Subject: Re: Xen hosting providers?
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: david l goodrich <dlg@dsrw.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/20/2007 17:43:05
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 05:25:49PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> >I'm told by the Panix staff that when they looked into why you hadn't
> >received any notification email, they discovered a problem with the
> >configuration of the notification list for Xen customers.
>=20
> I brought this thread to their attention, and that's when the list
> botch was noticed and fixed Real Quick.  I've now received the outage
> information mail, and David should have received it by now too.

And i've brought it to their attention, too :]  I wouldn't have
been nearly so ticked off, except I brought it to their attention
that they weren't notifying me back in /December/ when the dom0
hosting my vcolo fell over.

All that said, they have, since acknowledging that this is a
problem, resolved it very professionally.  I have recieved the
emails detailing the new policies put in place and I think
they're moving in the right direction.  In addition, they
contacted me privately.  I've heard horror stories about other
colo providers, too, and I'm happy with the service I've had from
Panix.

And thanks to the folks that intervened on my behalf :]
  --david

>=20
> As I mentioned privately to the Panix staff, I know that these things
> do happen -- and what I didn't tell them is that I've had much worse
> luck with a couple of their competitors in the Xen hosting market.  I
> found out later that one of those competitors was using refurb
> cobbled-together Pentium-3 boxes with just a pair of EIDE drives in
> each box; for that kind of reliability, I might as well colocate my
> own el-cheapo box.  8-)
>=20
> That aside, I've had more than my share of hardware problems with
> colocating my own box, which is what makes the Xen hosting concept
> such a huge win for me.  Zero hardware maintenance work makes for a
> lot less headache, even when failures do happen.
>=20
> --=20
> -- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ