Subject: Re: Xen, PAE, and NetBSD
To: Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe.alfaro@gmail.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/12/2007 14:45:25
On 2/12/07, Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From a user's perspective, if you try to load a non-PAE-capable domU
> > on a PAE host, xend will spit out EINVAL and refuse to complete the
> > domain construction.
>
> What about an AMD64 NetBSD domU kernel? :-)

Not on a "PAE" host, because a "PAE" host is running 32-bit.  (Yes, I
know that amd64 uses the PAE table structure with more PTEs in the
first level, but amd64 isn't normally referred to as a "PAE" system.)

Unfortunately, 32-bit + PAE is by far the most commonly deployed Xen
hosting setup.  So when the question is how to get NetBSD running as a
domU when you don't have control over the host (mmm, virtual server
hosting, the new commodity!), we're way behind the curve.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>