Subject: Manual creation of a vnd image - newfs freezes
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 01/07/2007 14:18:28
Hey all,

In the last few weeks I've needed to resize a few images and thought creating
them manually, without the use of the install kernel would be most
appropriate for transferring the existing system.

The process went something like:

dd -> mount -> disklabel

Not being an old hand at disklabel, I kept it as simple as possible using as
many defaults as I could. It all seemed to go accordingly up until issuing
newfs on vnd0a where it would freeze after a second or two.

Configuring the image within the install kernel worked flawlessly.

Is there any documentation or information for configuring an image manually
available somewhere?

Oh, I've created images before with no problems, but these included swap in
the disklabel and the largest image was 80GB. I didn't attempt without swap
as I prefer it in the image. I was in a current dom0 with 128MB of RAM at the
time.

Thanks,

Sarton