Subject: Re: linux domU's and partitioning
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/04/2006 23:58:19
On Monday 04 December 2006 20:55, you wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure the documentation is referring to a virtual block device
> > whereas you are referring to a vnd pseudo device.
> >
> > An image file can contain all required information to effectively mimic
> > an entire disk. This can't be said for a single physical slice.
>
> A physical slice can also be sub-partitionned when used as virtual disk.

I thought it possible so long as you have something similar to the NetBSD
install kernel. I was probably being a little pedantic about the wording of
the howto and the fact an image can be pre-prepared. My knowledge of linux
under xen outside of an image is rather limited :) ... I'd image it would be
difficult to prepare a slice appropriately without an install kernel, but not
impossible.

Has anyone here accomplished this without hvm? I haven't used hvm but I assume
it would function in a similar way to using an install kernel.

Sarton