Re: Xen2 vs Xen3: features and stability?

Hmm. I've mostly moved off of my NetBSD 3 (xen2) Dom0s because while once up, they are rock-solid, the xend daemon doesn't seem so stable; after adding 10 or 12 DomUs, the system does not allow me to startup or shutdown any more guests. Also, support for linux 2.6 DomU kernels is a requirement in my environment.

That said, the difference in uptime between my Linux Xen3 Dom0s and my rock-solid NetBSD Xen2 Dom0 is rather shocking.

linux/Xen3:
lsc@auburn:~$ uptime
 10:12:38 up 20 days, 11:02,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

NetBSD/Xen2:
137: {1} uptime
10:00AM  up 121 days, 19:41, 5 users, load averages: 5.56, 4.34, 4.09

137: {2} uname -a
NetBSD 137 3.0.1 NetBSD 3.0.1 (amy-XEN0) #1: Wed Jul 12 02:33:02 PDT 2006 lsc@:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/amy-XEN0 i386

(The NetBSD box is the only one that meets any kind of reasonable SLA)

so yes, I am strongly considering moving to NetBSD4; the big problem with Xen3 is that it seems to still be something of a moving target (changes were made between 3.0.2-2 and 3.0.3 that broke NetBSD and FreeBSD DomU
support... NetBSD support is fixed now in -current and 4.0)

Of course, the other option is to put the effort into figuring out what's wrong with xen2- at least then the specification isn't going to move out from under you; there is significant demand for stable NetBSD/FreeBSD virtual servers.