Subject: Re: fxp0 issues
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/13/2006 12:14:38
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:05:29 +0100, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
wrote:

> > So I do not know if the device timeout is related??
>
> The device timeout if probably the reason why fxp0 doesn't work.
> It usually means that either interrupts are not working for this device,
> or the driver has a problem with this revision of the chip.

There are some fxp chips that do have problems.  The dmesg on one of my
machine says:

	fxp1 at pci2 dev 5 function 0: i82559S Ethernet, rev 9
	fxp1: interrupting at irq 5
	fxp1: May need receiver lock-up workaround
	fxp1: Ethernet address 00:20:fc:1e:67:41
	inphy1 at fxp1 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4

and I do see timeouts.  See fxp(4) for a work-around -- it may be worth
trying the suggestion, even if you're not seeing the message.