Subject: Re: NetBSD -CURRENT with Xen3.0.3: grub failed with Error3 and Error 13
To: Rainer Brinkmoeller <rainer.brinkmoeller@web.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/05/2006 20:21:38
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 12:30:38AM +0100, Rainer Brinkmoeller wrote:
> Well, the problem could be the same cause i use a single 140GB partition
> too.
> Does this mean i have to reinstall NetBSD? No, please ;-(

Well, I fear you'll have to. I've come in this issue twice with large
partition, and did never see it with small ones. I suspect grub is, in fact,
not 64bits safe. When you install the xen + netbsd-XENx_DOM0 kernels just
after the netbsd install, it's likely to end up physically near the start
of the partition. But after some time of filesystem activity, files
copyed to / ends up past some limit (maybe 8G ?) and grub can't load them.
It's not a matter of kernel size; just moving these files to a smaller
partition made grub able to load them.
I think it's mandatory to create a small / partition for Xen installs. I'll try
to add a note about this in the FAQ.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>