Subject: Re: Xen and Raidframe
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Luke Crawford <lsc@prgmr.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/04/2006 05:32:20
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> One apparent option, for the production DOMUs, is to have matching
> partitions on each hard drive, and have the DOMUs do RAID themselves.  A
> second is to use a large DOM0 partition, with RAID, and assign a DOMu a
> file in that partition.  This strikes me as slower, but adequate for
> light-load and experimental servers.

I use the second option right now on my NetBSD dom0s  it works just fine
on NetBSD.  I wouldn't use files if my Dom0 was anything but
NetBSD... the file-backed vbd stuff is supposed to be pretty slow on
Linux-  someone did a benchmark back in the Xen 2.0 days and the
difference between NetBSD and Linux was radical.

I will likely be moving to option 1 in the future, as linux software raid
sucks, and I have Linux Dom0s now-  also I want live migration to work
and that doesn't work if you do raid in the dom0