Subject: Re: upgraded to 3.0.3, with hvm support
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/20/2006 19:35:30
On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 12:58:39PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 06:21:19PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 12:09:55PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > > I'm now persuaded that I need to update my desktop machine to one that
> > > supports HVM...  (Is there any way to tell from vendor literature if the
> > > CPU has the right features?)
> >
> > For Intel it's
> > http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US
> >
> > What you're looking for is  "VT"
>
> Though the AMD stuff virtualizes a bit more, and performance is supposed
> to be somewhat better, right?

It's most probably true for 16-bit apps; AMD CPU handles it in harware while
with Intel it has to be emulated (by the hypervisor in our case). It's
also possible that more 16 bits apps will work with AMD's CPU,
but I don't have AMD systems to play with.

> Which AMD CPUs have virtualization?  I am having some trouble figuring out.

This I don't know; I try to avoid AMD hardware as much as possible these
days ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>