Subject: Re: progress on xen3 HVM support
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/16/2006 08:39:17
--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:34:09AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> Hi Manuel,
>=20
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >attached is a snapshot of a xentools30-vmx package, which should install=
=20
> >on top
> >of xentools30 the necessary bits for starting HVM guests. This is based =
on
> >patches sent to me by Pierrick Brossin. It's good enough to start a linux
> >bootable CD up to the X graphical installer (I didn't try to install it=
=20
> >yet).
> >It needs a very recent current kernel.
> >
> >Known bugs
> >- as is, qemu-dm won't start. I renamed it and remplaced with a csh scri=
pt
>=20
> I'm not following Xen as close as I'd like to, and as such your posting=
=20
> raised two questions for me that I was able to google. Maybe you can=20
> confirm my understanding:
>=20
> 1) HVM =3D Hardware Virtual Machine, a Common Interface for VT-x/VT-i and
>          AMD SVM CPUs[1]

Correct.

> 2) Qemu-dm =3D Qemu[2] Device Model - a modified(?) Qemu that's used to
>              emulate instruction sets for real-mode support[3] - I guess
>              to run Xen inside Xen

No.  qemu is used as the back-end for HVM domains, providing it a
"hardware" to run on.  The part where qemu emulates a CPU is left out,
only the hardware environment is kept.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--