Subject: Re: progress on xen3 HVM support
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/16/2006 03:34:09
Hi Manuel,

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> attached is a snapshot of a xentools30-vmx package, which should install on top
> of xentools30 the necessary bits for starting HVM guests. This is based on
> patches sent to me by Pierrick Brossin. It's good enough to start a linux
> bootable CD up to the X graphical installer (I didn't try to install it yet).
> It needs a very recent current kernel.
>
> Known bugs
> - as is, qemu-dm won't start. I renamed it and remplaced with a csh script

I'm not following Xen as close as I'd like to, and as such your posting
raised two questions for me that I was able to google. Maybe you can
confirm my understanding:

1) HVM = Hardware Virtual Machine, a Common Interface for VT-x/VT-i and
          AMD SVM CPUs[1]

2) Qemu-dm = Qemu[2] Device Model - a modified(?) Qemu that's used to
              emulate instruction sets for real-mode support[3] - I guess
              to run Xen inside Xen

  - Hubert

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8909
[2] http://www.qemu.org/