Re: how to build xen kernel?

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:41:14PM -0500, reed%reedmedia.net@localhost wrote:
> > See the directory that changed because you exhibited insufficient sloth?
>
> I am not sure if you are joking because you didn't read the line that
> indicated that I know it used the wrong directory.

You typed too much to begin with.
If you'd been lazy and typed the shortest possible command, you would
not have seen this error.
Slightly different invocation if cross compiling.

> That still doesn't tell me where the documentation for this is at.

I went by the bit on building from CVS.
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/
"Updating an existing system"
Picked the "GENERIC" kernel for Xen.

> Am I supposed to manually copy the config to that location? Why?
>
> Or should I use a path for the build.sh kernel= setting?

If you are not cross compiling (IE building on Linux of FreeBSD),
limit it to just tools and kernel=.
If cross compiling, use the same parameters you'd use to target
your base architecture (IE i386).

> Why aren't the Xen kernel configs there in the first place then?

Xen is a minor tweak and subset on the native instruction set, it is not
a new instruction set.
I don't think it's there yet, but you could have ia64 xen and powerpc xen.

> Is it required to use -m switch?

Not unless doing cross compiling

> How do the release engineers do it?

One would hope they follow something similar to the section
"Building a release from source"
from the same URL

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."