Subject: Re: hardware-assisted checksum issue
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Florian Heigl <floh@deranfangvomen.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 06/16/2006 15:06:55
Hi,

I might have an idea and bad news if it turns out to be right.

Something similar has happened to me on an entirely different setup.
Xen3, Linux dom0, NetBSD domU, Intel 82559 adapter.

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:30:58PM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:

> When I tried to enable hardware-assisted using "ifconfig ex0 ip4csum
> tcp4csum udp4csum", the network card just stopped working. From the
> console I did configure those flags in ifconfig.ex0 and rebooted, but
> the network card was still unable to get any data - input or output.

My adapters under the first and second bridges were hardly usable until I t=
urned of tcp/udp checksum offloading. It would appear the checksumming thre=
w away packets that weren't based on the local adapters mac address.  (that=
's just a guess)

See the Xenfaq at http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-4ce9767df34=
fe1c9cf4f85f7e07cb10110eae9b7 and decide for Yourself if it might be the re=
ason for this behaviour, I really can't tell :/

Regards,
Florian

--=20

florian heigl			 http://deranfangvomen.de/

Grid Computing erfreut sich gerade bei Windows-Nutzern sehr regem Zuspruch,=
 auch
wenn die Rechnerbesitzer meist nichts von ihrem Gl=FCck wissen. --f. weimer