Re: XEN0 Kernel not booting on Athlon XP 64 X2 4400+

Hi all,

On 2 avr. 06, at 14:50, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:44:47AM +0200, KlinT wrote:
Hi all,

Well I'm trying to setup Xen 2.0.7 on my new Athlon 64 X2 computer ...
I'm running NetBSD 3.99.17 and everything runs ok ( maybe except for
the SATA.II feature ) ...

So I install Xen as usual, according to the documentation ...

The problem is when I'm trying to boot the XEN0 kernel. I got a kernel
error ( swapper error ) and then I enter the debugger ... :(
I've found that problem comes with USB/FireWire components, so I
disable them in the bios and try to boot again the XEN0 kernel ...
Same problem but not at the same place :(

Can you post the panic message, and eventually the stack trace ?

I'd like too but there is no "panic message" just a system freeze

I've just build a fresh XEN0 kernel ... Here are the very last lines :

boot device:wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
mountroot: trying lsf ...
mountroot: trying ffs ...
root file system type: ffs
init: copying out path '/bin/init' 11

---> The kernel stops there without any informations ...

I've tried to build my own kernel from the source. I've successfully
built the toolchain, and a XEN0 kernel using build.sh.
but trying to boot this kernel fails too ... Now, the system freeze ...
but never at the same place.
Some times the boot process reach network configuration and then freeze
... I was not able to boot entirely my system.

Any idea ??

I think that I have a similar problem than "Florent Parent" who post
this thread "XEN0 kernel with options MULTIPROCESSOR".
And my kernel is not able to deal with the dual-core architecture of my
cpu ...

No, it's not the same problem. With Xen-2, all multiprocessor support is in the Xen kernel, not in the dom0 kernel. The domain kernels don't even
know if they're on a multiprocessor or not.

Understood ...

I've also try to optimize the build using some options in /etc/mk.conf
and the package pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags ... Don't know if it really works

Can you try without the flags ? It's possible that some special flags
triggers compilers bugs, optimisations issues or use some instructions
that are not handled by Xen.

I'll try this now ...
I'll let you know about the results ...

Thanks a lot Manuel.