Subject: Re: XEN0 Kernel not booting on Athlon XP 64 X2 4400+
To: None <port-xen@NetBSD.org>
From: KlinT <klint@klintcentral.net>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/03/2006 19:39:59
Hi all,

On 2 avr. 06, at 14:50, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:44:47AM +0200, KlinT wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Well I'm trying to setup Xen 2.0.7 on my new Athlon 64 X2 computer ...
>> I'm running NetBSD 3.99.17 and everything runs ok ( maybe except for
>> the SATA.II feature ) ...
>>
>> So I install Xen as usual, according to the documentation ...
>>
>> The problem is when I'm trying to boot the XEN0 kernel. I got a kernel
>> error ( swapper error ) and then I enter the debugger ... :(
>> I've found that problem comes with USB/FireWire components, so I
>> disable them in the bios and try to boot again the XEN0 kernel ...
>> Same problem but not at the same place :(
>
> Can you post the panic message, and eventually the stack trace ?

I'd like too but there is no "panic message" just a system freeze

I've just build a fresh XEN0 kernel ... Here are the very last lines :

boot device:wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
mountroot: trying lsf ...
mountroot: trying ffs ...
root file system type: ffs
init: copying out path '/bin/init' 11

---> The kernel stops there without any informations ...

>> I've tried to build my own kernel from the source. I've successfully
>> built the toolchain, and a XEN0 kernel using build.sh.
>> but trying to boot this kernel fails too ... Now, the system freeze
>> but never at the same place.
>> Some times the boot process reach network configuration and then
>> freeze
>> ... I was not able to boot entirely my system.
>>
>> Any idea ??
>>
>> I think that I have a similar problem than "Florent Parent" who post
>> this thread "XEN0 kernel with options MULTIPROCESSOR".
>> And my kernel is not able to deal with the dual-core architecture of
>> my
>> cpu ...
>
> No, it's not the same problem. With Xen-2, all multiprocessor support
> is
> in the Xen kernel, not in the dom0 kernel. The domain kernels don't
> even
> know if they're on a multiprocessor or not.

Understood ...

>> I've also try to optimize the build using some options in /etc/mk.conf
>> and the package pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags ... Don't know if it really
>> works
>
> Can you try without the flags ? It's possible that some special flags
> triggers compilers bugs, optimisations issues or use some instructions
> that are not handled by Xen.

I'll try this now ...
I'll let you know about the results ...

> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>      NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

Thanks a lot Manuel.