Subject: Re: XEN0 Kernel not booting on Athlon XP 64 X2 4400+
To: KlinT <klint@klintcentral.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/02/2006 14:50:39
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 01:44:47AM +0200, KlinT wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well I'm trying to setup Xen 2.0.7 on my new Athlon 64 X2 computer ...
> I'm running NetBSD 3.99.17 and everything runs ok ( maybe except for
> the SATA.II feature ) ...
>
> So I install Xen as usual, according to the documentation ...
>
> The problem is when I'm trying to boot the XEN0 kernel. I got a kernel
> error ( swapper error ) and then I enter the debugger ... :(
> I've found that problem comes with USB/FireWire components, so I
> disable them in the bios and try to boot again the XEN0 kernel ...
> Same problem but not at the same place :(

Can you post the panic message, and eventually the stack trace ?

> I've tried to build my own kernel from the source. I've successfully
> built the toolchain, and a XEN0 kernel using build.sh.
> but trying to boot this kernel fails too ... Now, the system freeze ...
> but never at the same place.
> Some times the boot process reach network configuration and then freeze
> ... I was not able to boot entirely my system.
>
> Any idea ??
>
> I think that I have a similar problem than "Florent Parent" who post
> this thread "XEN0 kernel with options MULTIPROCESSOR".
> And my kernel is not able to deal with the dual-core architecture of my
> cpu ...

No, it's not the same problem. With Xen-2, all multiprocessor support is
in the Xen kernel, not in the dom0 kernel. The domain kernels don't even
know if they're on a multiprocessor or not.

> I've also try to optimize the build using some options in /etc/mk.conf
> and the package pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags ... Don't know if it really works

Can you try without the flags ? It's possible that some special flags
triggers compilers bugs, optimisations issues or use some instructions
that are not handled by Xen.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>