Subject: Re: domU network configuration in xen config file
To: None <port-xen@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/13/2006 20:18:54
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:13:12 +0100
Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:

> Should this even be xen specific?
Thinking of it, no. This should / could be MI.

> This info could be passed on from our boot(8) loader, too. (granted,
> I don't see a direct use for that, but it's just not xen-specific.)
The use is for netbooting. At the moment on most machines the firmware
does dhcp / bootp to request IP parameters to load the boot loader. The
boot loader does a second dhcp / bootp to ask what kernel to load etc.
and the kernel in turn does a third dhcp / bootp to ask for its IP
parameters and root file system. If the boot loader can pass the boot
parameters to the kernel the entire dhcp / bootp stuff in the kernel can
be skiped. The kernel knows how to configure the network and can mount
NFS root without an additional dhcp / bootp.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen