Subject: Re: domU network configuration in xen config file
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Dirk H. Schulz <dirk.schulz@kinzesberg.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/13/2006 07:46:05
Geert Hendrickx schrieb:

>On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:52:37PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>

>>On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 04:14:15PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>it is possible to specify an unprivileged domain's network configuration in
>>>its Xen config file, with the "ip", "netmask", "gateway", "hostname" and/or
>>>"dhcp" config parameters.  Linux domU's respect these parameters and use it
>>>when booted, but NetBSD doesn't seem to.   Is it possible to implement this
>>>for NetBSD, too?  I guess these parameters are somehow passed to the kernel
>>>when loaded, but I don't know how.
>>>

>>This will only be used if you use
>>options         NFS_BOOT_DHCP,NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM,NFS_BOOT_BOOTSTATIC
>>in your kernel config file, and use root on NFS.
>>

>Why couldn't it use this info (pass it on to userland) in other (non-diskless)
>cases?  Linux domU's can do it, and it looks like a useful feature to me (e.g.
>sending a generic domU image to your Xen hosting provider without having to
>worry about the network configuration; they would simply provide it in the Xen
>config file and your NetBSD domU would use that info).

As far as I know a Linux domU does NOT use these values. They are meant
for something different: If you have an IP address in your domU config
AND you have configured xen with "antispoof=yes", then packets are
bridged only from this ip address.
You can still setup up the domU with a different ip address internally,
then, but if you do it does not have network connectivity.

Dirk