Subject: Re: Migrating Xen2 to Xen3?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz>
List: port-xen
Date: 03/10/2006 12:02:14
Hi!

Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

> I know NetBSD on Xen3 is not "there" yet. Still, my question is:
> what effort is needed when it's needed to migrate a Xen2 to a Xen3
> setup, assuming NetBSD in Dom0 and DomU:
>
> Will simply replacing the Xen image, the NetBSD kernel(s) and the
> Xen-tools work? Or what's the migration path? Full install?
>

>   - Hubert

Xen is not userland-intrusive for any domain, not even domain 0. all needed for Xen to "run" is to have xen.gz and the kernels compiled for the right Xen platform (Xen 3 in this case). Then, for domain administration and creation, one would need the userland daemon on dom0 upgraded, to match Xen 3. no additional stuff is necessary, for the same usability.

Now, Xen 3 can have a variety of frontends that have been developed by other parties, which might need http daemons and whatnot. Those are off the "main" Xen, though.

Kind Regards,
Evaldo Gardenali