Re: xen network problem

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 05:24:33PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > I think I got xen working with such a card, although I don't have systems
> > using this adapter right now.
>
> So you think it could be related to the network card I'm using?  I can try
> with an USB ral(4) card on the same machine (but not now).

It's probably a hardware config issue, see below

> > Just a though, can you check (using netstat -i) that the adpater is
> > properly getting interrupts ?
>
> Here's the output of netstat -i after a fresh boot and ifconfig:

Ops sorry, make that vmstat -i

> Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
> Colls
> rtk0  1500  <Link>        00:c0:9f:8d:d8:a4        0     0        7     2     > 0
> I also noticed the kernel is saying "rtk0: watchdog timeout".

No packets received and watchdog timeout, this is a good hint at an
interrupt problem. vmstat -i will probably confirm that it gets no
interrupts.

My guess is that the ACPI in Xen is getting it wrong for your machine.
You can try adding 'noacpi' on the Xen boot command line in grub.
If that doesn't help, try 'ignorebiostables' (but this disables SMP, if you
care).
There may be other options that can help, see
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes-2.0/user/user.html