Subject: using a domU for development - some questions
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: port-xen
Date: 11/09/2005 11:03:44
--------------enig4CA88C49A586A2BA276A599A

With as fast as my NetBSD domU is at rebooting, it seems like an ideal
environment for kernel development - but I'm running into some snags I
hope someone can help me with.

First, dropping into DDB - setting hw.cnmagic seems to work, but is
there a way to get into DDB with default settings?

Second, I was able to successfully hide my PCI device from dom0, but the
domU kernel crashes when I load the driver.  Not too surprising - I'm
certain there are quite a few bugs lurking in this driver.  However, I
was unable to force a crash dump:

db> reboot 0x0104

dumping to dev 142,1 offset 9263
dump device bad

... my swap device is xbd0b.  Would it work with an actual disk partition?

If anyone else is trying to develop this way, I'd appreciate any pointers...

+j