Subject: Re: problems exporting PCI devices to domU
To: Ceri Storey <cez@necrofish.org.uk>
From: Karl Janmar <karl@utopiafoundation.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/09/2005 14:58:43
Ceri Storey wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 12:55:48AM +0200, Karl Janmar wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have got xen working on my machine and I'm able to run both Linux and netbsd
>>as a domU.
>>For Linux I use a physical disk and for netbsd I use a file together with vnd,
>>that seems working pretty well.
>>
>>But when I try to give my netbsd domU access to a PCI device it fail. I have
>>read the xen/howto instructions on www.netbsd.org and also some post about
>>exporting PCI devices, but I still doesn't get it working.
>>
>>I have hidden the PCI device from my dom0 and now I won't see the device when I
>>list the PCI bus with pcictl.
>

> Could you include the output of pcictl from before you hid the device?

Here is what I see with pcictl when booting without the physdev_dom0_hide
argument to xen:
$ pcictl pci3 list
003:13:0: Atheros Communications AR5212 Wireless LAN (ethernet network, revision
0x01)

>>Prepared my domU kernel with the extra lines in the kernel config to enable the
>>PCI bus (from www.netbsd.org xen/howto).
>>Then I add a "pci = ['3,13,0']" line to the xen config.
>>After that when I do "xm create netbsd" I get this:
>>Using config file "/etc/xen/netbsd".
>>Error: Error creating domain: (19, 'Operation not supported by device')
>

> It sounds like you're attempting to export something that Xen can't
> really export.

Could be, what kind of PCI devices can xen export? Hmm, ok so maybe I missed
some vital information, does the PCI device I want to export need to have some
kind of xen hooks?

- karl