Subject: Re: rc.d script for starting Xen domains
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 10/03/2005 20:15:55
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:53:24PM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> I committed Ceri Storey's block-file and vif-bridge scripts into xentools20
> pkg some days ago. Now it's possible to use file: in domU config files.
>
> And the vif-bridge scripts also works perfectly on NetBSD without any
> modification.
>
> Maybe the howto should be updated?

I was going to make a few other changes to the xentools20 package
(including adding my xendomains rc.d script) this week, so if there's
no hurry on updating the how-to, I'd like to do that first.  For
example, the xenconfig.sxp file lets you specify several block-foo
scripts, each of which correspond to a disk = [ 'foo:...' ] specification.
I think we could just create scripts called, e.g. block-vnd or block-cgd
that would be automatically called if 'vnd:...' or 'cgd:...' are passed
as disk specifications, and would be examples that are worthwhile to
install as part of the xentools20 package.

Also, the how-to goes over the routed-networking setup, while the
scripts that come with the xentools20 package support the
bridged-networking setup out-of-the-box, which isn't so good.  I'm
slowly reading through the Python code to see how the info in the
xenconfig.sxp file is used, as it seems there should be a way to use
either the routed- or bridged- networking setups depending on what
you set in the guest domain config file, similar to the disk setup.

Anyway, I'll post my sample scripts here for critique before adding
them to the xentools20 package.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>