Subject: Re: Small changes to libxc (save/restore part 4)
To: Jed Davis <jdev@panix.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 09/10/2005 18:03:12
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:55:53AM -0400, Jed Davis wrote:
> What I've been slowly leading up to: with this and the other three
> changes I've posted about today, I can successfully (and consistently)
> save and restore a Linux domU with a NetBSD dom0.

Hi,
thanks for your patches. I committed all of them to the kernel and
pkgsrc.

> Save/restore of a
> NetBSD domU would be nicer, but I'm not there yet.

I've not looked at this in details yet. It shouldn't need much for a domU
that doens't have access to physical devices. A domU with physical devices
would probably require to save/restore the device's setups, which probably
requires a MI framework (not much different from what is needed for e.g.
ACPI suspend/resume).
For live migration, I don't know if there is additionnal support
needed on the domU's side, or if the hypervisor does all the extra work
(from what I remember, for a live migration, the domU's memory is copyed
while the domU's kernel is still running. Then the domU is suspended and
only pages that have been changed are transfered again).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>