Re: pmap_remap_pages and protection (save/restore, part 1)

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:14:23AM -0400, Jed Davis wrote:
> _The UVM Virtual Memory System_ (the overview paper, that is) mentions
> that a pager implementation can do its own page allocation, for
> e.g. mapping a ROM into a process's address space.  I also notice
> cdevsw's d_mmap, but that's expected to return a "physical" address.

I was hoping to one day see a balloon pager that worked with xen to
allocate dynamic memory between domains.  IIUC, the linux baloon
driver works the other way, grabbing and pretending to use 'physical'
memory, when really returning it to xen for other domains to use.  A
pager seems better placed to measure and respond to real demand.

--
Dan.