Subject: Exporting PCI devices to unpriviledged domains.
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Ceri Storey <cez@necrofish.org.uk>
List: port-xen
Date: 08/14/2005 22:16:20
Hi.

I'm currently attempting to export my wireless network card (suppoted by
ral(4)) to an unpriviledged Xen domain running under NetBSD, with Linux as
Domain 0.  So, what I've done is built a XenU kernel with DOM0OPS defined,
and adding appropriate attachments for pci busses, and the card itself.

I've also got a Sun Quad port ethernet card in that box which I'd like
to export to that domain, but I suspect that the internal bridging is
confusing Xen; but that's another story.

So, I've attempted to boot the unprivileged domain, however the pci
devices fail to attach, with the following message:

pci0: no spaces enabled!

When I tried the converse approach, adding the unpriviledged domain
devices (xbd, xennet) to a Xen0 config resulted in a panic, as below.

However, using the plain xenU kernel works fine; albeit without pci
devices.

I'm running Xen 2.0.7, with a NetBSD-current snapshot as of 2005-08-10
(mostly because the card isn't supported by 3.0 or 2.0, AFAICS).

Xen Dmesg, kernel configs, &c are at:
http://ceri.storey.name/2005/08/14

(the dmesgs include the SXP versions of the domain configuration).

If anyone  needs any further information, then just ask. Thanks for your
assistance.
--
Ceri Storey <cez@necrofish.org.uk>
'What I really want is "apt-get smite"'