Re: -current broken due to kernfs changes

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:55:56PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > This is acceptable, but the kernel needs to be able to handle both for some
> > time.  Otherwise we'll have a problem for the upgrade (we need to upgrade
> > both
> > the kenrel and tools at once, and this is something we want to avoid if
> > possible)
>
> a question is, how long is "some time".  forever?

I'd say wait for pkgsrc-2005Q2 to be branched. At this time 2005Q1 will
be EOL'd

> > > well, so what?
> > > all userland tools are the same in these respects.
> >
> > Not really. Old tools with new kernel usually work.
>
> some system tools don't usually work.
> eg. kmem grovellers, ipf/pf utilities, etc.
> IMO xentools belong to this kind of tools.

For most kmem grovellers it usually is not a big problem, we can run a
system without them. For ipf/pf utilities it's annoying, and I consider this
as a bug. A Xen system without xentools is unusable, so I think we have to
provide a clean upgrade path, especially when it's easy.