Subject: freezes with NetBSD 3.99.3 / Xen 2.0.5
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: port-xen
Date: 05/12/2005 09:42:29
Not sure whether this is a Xen issue or something to do with -current,
hence the cross posting ...

I have put together a box running NetBSD/Xen with Xen kernel 2.0.5 and
NetBSD 3.99.3.

After some initial problems getting the machine to boot with grub it
seems to be mostly fine.  Unfortunately the machine appears to freeze
completely for a few seconds every ten minutes or so.  On monitoring
the console I have noticed the external USB keyboard detach and
reattach, although the freezes still occur with it unplugged.

Also, it seems that the system clock is running slow - by almost 40
minutes after three days and root in domain0 doesn't seem to be able to
change it with date or ntpd.  Thirdly, whenever there is a lot of
serial port activity (even at 9600bd) the machine seems to slow down
markedly - I haven't done any major testing on this, but I have noticed
that a networked mp3 stream from the machine to my hardware mp3 player
begins to get very very choppy at the same time ...

Has anyone else noticed these problems with a setup like this?

Also, I've configured grub to use the PC console to display the menu
and use the serial console as the console for the domain0 NetBSD
instance.  As I use screen on the serial console I keep invoking Xen
kernel's attention string accidentally as it uses three ^A in a row ...
is there any way to tell Xen to use some other string, say ^T or
something else?  Or perhaps tell Xen to ignore the serial console
altogether and just use the PC console?

Regards,
Malcolm

--