Subject: Re: Problems creating a linux domU
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/21/2005 09:43:58
On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:31:53AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:42:51 +0200
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > > sda1: rw=0, want=2576980378, limit=32000
> > > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 3435973836
> > > attempt to access beyond end of device
> >
> > Did you run fsck on this partition ? How large is your vnd1a partition ?
> > The very large block number looks suspicious, there could be something
> > wrong with the filesystem.
>
> Yes, I ran fsck_ext2fs (it was already cleaned up).
>
> Partition size is 20GB.
>
> I just did:
>
> $ vnconfig vnd0 ttylinux.img
> $ xm create /etc/xen/ttylinux -c
>
> with ['phy:/dev/vnd1a,sda1,w']
>
> And it showed up the errors I posted above.

Does your Linux kernel have scsi support?  (sounds like it does, but
that was one of the problems I had with a ttylinux kernel in a domU).
I have also had to mount the Linux image with -t ext2fs in NetBSD
dom0, and modify things in the image, like /etc/fstab.

I think we're spoilt in NetBSD-land with our combined SCSI/ATAPI layer
(thanks, Manuel), but being able to mount an ext3fs as an ext2fs is
one nice thing that the Linux people did.

Regards,
Alistair