Re: Xen and memory beyond 2GB?

In article <028bc06420e50c65e4e016f071601c88%autonomica.se@localhost>,
        Johan Ihrén <johani%autonomica.se@localhost> writes:
For this to work, is it necessary to have a "64bit" box, i.e. an Intel
EM64T or AMD64 ...

This won't help because Xen doesn't support x64 at the moment.

Ack. "Don't forget to engage brain before opening mouth"

... or is it sufficient with a std i386 as long as the
motherboard has an MMU capable of addressing more memory?

That would require that Xen supports PAE (accessing more than 4GB via
the MMU) and can run guest operating system which don't support PAE
(like NetBSD-i386) while using PAE.

Umm. A 4GB limit would be just fine in my case. In fact I will probably not need much more than 3GB, it is just that I've tried running my machines in 96MB each and that was too painful so I need to break the 2GB barrier.

I don't know about PAE support in Xen but the second requirement sounds
unlikely from what I know about the Xen architecture.

I'm confused. Although I've never tried it myself I've seen numerous messages on various mailing lists about NetBSD/i386 on machines with more than 2GB memory. I was under the impression that the limitation primarily was that the i386 arch cannot address more than 2GB per process. What am I missing?

Johan