Subject: Re: Xen and memory beyond 2GB?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Ihr=E9n?= <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/12/2005 14:06:07
> In article <028bc06420e50c65e4e016f071601c88@autonomica.se>,
> 	Johan Ihr=E9n <johani@autonomica.se> writes:
>> For this to work, is it necessary to have a "64bit" box, i.e. an =
Intel
>> EM64T or AMD64 ...
>
> This won't help because Xen doesn't support x64 at the moment.

Ack. "Don't forget to engage brain before opening mouth"

>> ... or is it sufficient with a std i386 as long as the
>> motherboard has an MMU capable of addressing more memory?
>
> That would require that Xen supports PAE (accessing more than 4GB via
> the MMU) and can run guest operating system which don't support PAE
> (like NetBSD-i386) while using PAE.

Umm. A 4GB limit would be just fine in my case. In fact I will probably=20=

not need much more than 3GB, it is just that I've tried running my=20
machines in 96MB each and that was too painful so I need to break the=20
2GB barrier.

> I don't know about PAE support in Xen but the second requirement =
sounds
> unlikely from what I know about the Xen architecture.

I'm confused. Although I've never tried it myself I've seen numerous=20
messages on various mailing lists about NetBSD/i386 on machines with=20
more than 2GB memory. I was under the impression that the limitation=20
primarily was that the i386 arch cannot address more than 2GB per=20
process. What am I missing?

Johan