Subject: Re: Xen and memory beyond 2GB?
To: None <port-xen@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/12/2005 11:27:46
In article <028bc06420e50c65e4e016f071601c88@autonomica.se>,
	Johan Ihrén <johani@autonomica.se> writes:
> For this to work, is it necessary to have a "64bit" box, i.e. an Intel
> EM64T or AMD64 ...

This won't help because Xen doesn't support x64 at the moment.

> ... or is it sufficient with a std i386 as long as the
> motherboard has an MMU capable of addressing more memory?

That would require that Xen supports PAE (accessing more than 4GB via
the MMU) and can run guest operating system which don't support PAE
(like NetBSD-i386) while using PAE.

I don't know about PAE support in Xen but the second requirement sounds
unlikely from what I know about the Xen architecture.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/