Subject: Xen and memory beyond 2GB?
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Ihr=E9n?= <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-xen
Date: 04/12/2005 11:11:20
I have interests similar to Marrti Kuparinen's in that I'd like to be=20
able to run a substantial number of virtual machines (at least a dozen)=20=

on the same box and the aggregated memory requirements will exceed 2GB.=20=

The memory reuirements of each VM will be below 2GB though.

For this to work, is it necessary to have a "64bit" box, i.e. an Intel=20=

EM64T or AMD64 where I can address all the memory from a single=20
userspace process or is it sufficient with a std i386 as long as the=20
motherboard has an MMU capable of addressing more memory?

In the latter case I realise the limitation to 2GB *per process*, but=20
that might be ok (as the individual VMs will be smaller than that)=20
depending on how xen works.

Any insights?

Regards,

Johan Ihr=E9n