Subject: Re: netbsd as a non-domain0 os : init problem
To: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@cl.cam.ac.uk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/27/2005 20:25:52
On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:49:21AM +0000, Christian Limpach wrote:
> > Well, you've still got it for domain 0, since it uses the real wd and
> > sd drivers.  I always found it very tricky to get this to work for any
> > domain but 0 under xen 1.2 anyway, unless netbooting -- and then the
> > names of the disks don't matter so much.
> >
> > Maybe I misunderstand?  Please correct me if so.
>
> There are a few reasons why you might still want this, but none are
> very important:
> - use the regular i386 installer to install to a partition and then
>   boot this partition as a domU

I plan to provide a domU-install kernel for this. In my usage, I would delegate
administration of some domU guests to some other peoples. They may want to
partition the disk space (that is, a partition in the domain 0's disks) I
allocated to them. An install kernel with the embeded ramdisk is the easiest
way to do this. This will probably mean that I'll also have to build linux
install kernels :(

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>