Subject: python programmers wanted
To: None <port-xen@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 02/14/2005 00:40:36
Hi,
the bouyer-xen2 is now in a state (with some yet-uncommited changes) where
a NetBSD domain0 system can load a linux or NetBSD kernel as guest,
and talk to skeleton backend device drivers. But there are major issues
with the xentools, and they are written in python. I don't know python,
and I have real problems understanding this code.
So I'm looking for volunteer(s) to port this code to NetBSD.
A non-exaustive list of problems:
- xend will stat() the device we want to configure as a vbd, to get
  the device number and size. For some reason size is 0
- It will also stat() the *local* filesystem to get the dev_t of the vbd
  device of the guest we're creating. This is a problem when domain0 and
  guest aren't the same OS. We should probably change this to use a per-OS
  table, or allow device numbers in the config file instead of names (really,
  xen should use names and not dev_t for this, but we probably can't change
  the xen kernel interface).
- the network config tools are linux-centric, we need scripts for NetBSD
  (manage bridge, add interface to bridge, eventually add ipf rules, ...)

I have a installable pkg for xentools20, but it also need some more work
(there are still a lot of hardcoded paths).

If you're interested in working on this, please get in touch with me.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>