Subject: Re: xen_read_console doesn't show any output?
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: port-xen
Date: 05/10/2004 04:15:54
Hi,

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 03:13:35AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > Actually, if there is a disklabel in the partition which you're exporting,
> > then the domain's kernel might get confused...  Could you also try
> > ``bootdev=wd0d''?
>
> That worked!
>
> [8] wd0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Block Device 6000 MB
> [8] npx0 at hypervisor0: using exception 16
> [8] boot device: wd0
> [8] root on wd0d dumps on wd0b
> [8] root file system type: ffs
> [8] Mon May 10 03:12:05 UTC 2004
> [8] Starting file system checks:
> [8] /dev/rwd0a: BAD SUPER BLOCK: CAN'T FIND SUPERBLOCK
> [8]
> [8] /dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
>
> That's better than before :) the strange thing is, if I run fsck_ffs in domain0
> it says it's clean, do you have any idea Christian?

yeah, you need to also change the etc/fstab on wd0i to use /dev/wd0d as
root.  That should get your new shiny domain booted ;-)

Once this works, you should be able to look at wd0's disklabel inside the
new domain and see that it has entries which don't make a lot of sense.
I don't know how to handle this better since we want to use a disklabel
if there is one, but if you export a partition to a domain and this
partition happens to be where the actual disk's disklabel is stored, it
gets rather confusing...

    christian