Subject: Re: ATA bus/drives order?
To: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
From: FUKAUMI Naoki <fun@naobsd.org>
List: port-xen
Date: 05/09/2004 03:22:29
Hi,

Christian Limpach said:
> You'd have to get the boot output from Xen and check if/how it detects
> the IDE controllers and drives.  You'd probably have to attach a serial
> console to see the output since it scrolls by too quickly (add
> ser_baud=57600 to the xen-1.2.gz line in grub, only the 1st port is
> supported).

I think so, too. But I don't have another machine which has serial port
now. I'll try later.

# When I saw Xen boot message (like a linux dmesg) with my eyes, Xen
# seems to be able to detect both DVD-ROM and S-ATA HDD in this order.

> My guess is that S-ATA is not well/at all supported in Xen itself.  For the
> guests it shouldn't make a difference since they only see virtual block
> devices (scsi/ide, cd/dvd-rom, all look the same)

OK.

> If you don't put the S-ATA controller in compatibility mode, does NetBSD
> report the wd0's size correctly?

Both (all) NetBSD/xen and NetBSD/i386 kernel report wd0's size correctly.
Below is NetBSD/xen dmesg in S-ATA compatible mode.

# In S-ATA native mode, only wd0/cd0 order is different (swapped).
# wd0 capacity is reported correctly.

========
NetBSD 2.0E (XEN) #0: Sat May  8 17:24:16 JST 2004
        fun@ea65.naobsd.org:/home/fun/src/sys/arch/xen/compile/XEN
total memory = 508 MB
avail memory = 497 MB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: Intel Pentium 4 (686-class), 2992.56 MHz, id 0xf29
cpu0: features bfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features bfebfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features bfebfbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu0: I-cache 12K uOp cache 8-way, D-cache 8 KB 64b/line 4-way
cpu0: L2 cache 512 KB 64b/line 8-way
cpu0: ITLB 4K/4M: 64 entries
cpu0: DTLB 4K/4M: 64 entries
cpu0: 16 page colors
hypervisor0 at mainbus0
xenkbc0 at hypervisor0: Xen Keyboard/Mouse Device
pckbd0 at xenkbc0 (kbd slot)
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard
pms0 at xenkbc0 (aux slot)
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
vga0 at hypervisor0
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
xencons0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Console Driver
xennet0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Network Interface
xennet0: MAC address aa:**:**:**:**:**
wd0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Block Device 149 GB
cd0 at hypervisor0: Xen Virtual Block Device 0
npx0 at hypervisor0: using exception 16
IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 3 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
========

--
FUKAUMI Naoki