Subject: Re: booting from RAID1 problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 05/04/2004 20:50:18
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:40:13PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > Looking more closely at all this, the only difference I can see between
> > my setup and the one in the NetBSD guide is that /dev/raid0a begins
> > at 63 in my setup instead of 0 in the netbsd guide setup.  Is
> > this the source of the problem, or is there something else I'm
> > not taking into account?
>
> That looks like the problem.
> There is no need to reserve the first track of the raid set.
>
> The raid set is only bootable if the root filesystem is in sector 64 [1]
> of the underlying disk partition.

That's not strictly true.  You can make an overlapping ffs partition in
the outer disklabel for any partition within the RAID, and that partition
will then become bootable.

I use that technique to boot NetBSD/Xen from RAID1, even though the Xen
bootloader (GRUB) doesn't know about NetBSD RAID partitions.

Thor