Re: [DOC] Expected build times (was: my simh -current build completed.)

On Fri, 2024-02-02 00:21:37 +0000, John Klos <john%klos.com@localhost> wrote:
> > The VAX builds usually take about 5h wall time. That host is a
> > HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8, 2x E5-2450L, 64 GB RAM, 3 TB HDD. Would be
> > nice to have a really modern system, but that came from my employer
> > and was just around for free. (5h here also implies that I usually run
> > 14 jobs in parallel overall.)
>
> > lol :)  So yes, your box is (at least) 1.7 to 2 times faster.
>
> Wait - five hours wall time, while running -j 14? Or are you saying you're
> running 14 simultanous ./build.sh builds?

14 simultaneous jobs, all at -j 1 (well, to be exact: all without any
`-j` supplied.)

> On the same 5900X with -j 24, even when it's busy with lots of other
> things, it's 2028.91 real, or 34 minutes (for -x tools distribution release
> iso-image install-image live-image). it's 1288.80 real on a 5950X with -j
> 32, which is nice :)

It's not the fastest box around. (I'd accept sponsoring!) But at least
running it finds issues every now and then, for a good number of
projects. (See http://toolchain.lug-owl.de/ in general.)

MfG, JBG