Re: Issues with native build of -10 on VAX

Hi,

On 2023/11/07 0:08, Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2023/11/06 23:40, Martin Husemann wrote:
We have those fixes in -current for gcc 10.5 and with that a full build is
supposedly possible. We pulled them up to -10 (also with gcc 10.5) and
this is the first report that they are not working there.

It is probably because this is the first try to self build
NetBSD/vax ;)

Maybe with the latest fixes, yes. But as mentioned, I've been trying to self built forever, and I used to do that all the time in the past.
Sadly, I'm now in a situation where I no longer can do the tests on a real 8650, since it's been put in storage. But I still have a 4000/90 that I test on.

Yeah, I mean that. Thank you very much for your tries on real machines.

Thanks to Kalvis's works, we could remove all -O[01] hacks for
*cross* build for NetBSD/vax. Also, pkgsrc/lang/perl5 can build
natively on vax. However, this does not mean that NetBSD/vax
itself builds natively.

For cross compilation, I've never had any issues with -O<whatever>. It's always for me just been an issue with native builds. Are you sure any of those hacks were actually required for cross compilations?

A lot of -O[01] hacks were in Makefile's, that were removed after
import of the latest gcc fixes:

https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/7c76c2272ed33e9382ba21d8bb8c83a57d05f685

We could not cross build NetBSD/vax without these workarounds.

Needless to say, GCC is the one of the most complex beasts we
need to handle. I guess that there still remain hard works to
build GCC natively. We must improve the situation step by step,
even after a giant leap made by Kalvis.

Yeah. I tried looking at gcc multiple times, but always get depressed after looking at it too much.

I still think/hope that the work that's gone into gcc 12 will be a big leap.

Unfortunately, gcc12 does not improve the situation for us,
as described in the PR:

https://gnats.netbsd.org/57646

However, it may be possible that we cannot fully adjust gcc12
to NetBSD/vax yet. We will merge Kalvis's work into gcc12 as
well as carefully examine gcc12 changes in the upstream.

Thanks,
rin