Re: Compiler Explorer offers a NetBSD VAX compiler

On Fri, 26 May 2023 at 13:53, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2023-05-26 12:46:20 +0100, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 at 02:01, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> > > as I noticed the announcement for a BPF compiler on Compiler Explorer,
> > > I thought about a VAX compiler. Fast forward a few days, and now
> > > you'll find it over there.
> > >
> > > Next step: Work on a trunk based compiler.
> >
> > Very interesting - would you have a link to hand? :)
>
> Waiting for NetBSD to pick it up.  The compiler Compiler Explorer is
> using is directly from a NetBSD "build.sh tools + libs" off a Linux
> host.  That was the easiest way to get a reasonable compiler with libc
> and all usual support libraries.

Nice :) That seems an extremely reasonable way to add it with
(hopefully!) very minimal ongoing maintenance required.

Presumably it might be possible to add in alpha using a similar
pattern? :)  (*Not* trying for "Oh, that is cool. Now You Must This As
Well")

Thanks. When you say waiting for NetBSD to pick it up, are you
referring to a more recent gcc/VAX version?

David