Re: New Vax - future directions :-)

> On Jul 6, 2021, at 5:55 PM, Alexander Schreiber <als%thangorodrim.ch@localhost> wrote:
>
>> ...Come to think of it, there are even people who earn a living, or part of one,
>> from PDP-11 systems.
>
> IIRC a lot of those are often deep inside industrial systems - you don't
> throw away millions of $ of perfectly serviceable industrial hardware
> because the control system doesn't run the newest OS. In fact, _not_
> running the newest, shiniest, cloud-connected OS on your industrial
> control plane is probably a plus wrt to operational stability these days.

And its close relative, system security.  You don't have to worry much about Putin's cronies if you're running RSX or RSTS/E.

I'm always amazed when I hear people complaining about the "security issues" of old mainframe systems that "urgently need to be replaced by modern systems".   You don't find viruses in OS/360, but they are a dime a dozen in the most popular modern OS, and new holes are created daily by hordes of modern sloppy programmers.

	paul