Re: Bountysource campaign for gcc-vax

Hi Adrian!

> >  Patches have now been posted:
> >
> > <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-November/559698.html>
>
> Any update on when these will get merged? Looks like Jeff is fine with most
> of the patches.

 Well, 01/31 has turned out the most troublesome, required review effort
from several people, and taken an extra verification cycle, i.e. ~2 days,
but has been approved by Ulrich as of last Fri, and acknowledged by Jeff
too.  All the remaining patches (except for 29/31, a PDP-11 fix, obviously
not strictly required for our purpose, approved separately by Paul Koning)
have been previously reviewed and approved by Jeff.

 Final verification has literally just completed:

		=== libgomp Summary ===

# of expected passes		2676
# of unexpected failures	40
# of expected failures		6
# of unsupported tests		380
runtest completed at Mon Nov 30 02:26:42 2020

(mind that the test system is in the CET time zone) with no issues, so I
can now push the patches anytime.

 I'm going to verify and submit an extra change that I'd like to go in
ahead of the actual MODE_CC conversion (i.e. 30/31), which is to fix the
LTO issue observed mentioned here and along with the upstream submission,
as I think it is important and might be worth backporting.

 This will remove the sole regression, which I found a sore point in the
whole effort.  Not a perfect fix, as a better one I have made turned out
to trip on a linker bug in BFD, but certainly a working one, and good
enough for now.  The better fix will have to wait for GCC 12 along with
any other improvements.

 So I think the current ETC is this coming Wed.  Do you have any specific
reason to ask?

 NB I wish we had better target-specific coverage across the testsuites,
like e.g. the MIPS port does.  We don't even have GAS coverage for basic
machine code generation, i.e. opcode and operand encoding!

  Maciej